Friday, April 18, 2014

Look who gatecrashed for a free breakfast

 This is a wild rabbit that has made itself at home in the orchard area that also holds most of my chooks and ducks.  It has been around since it was quite small but scooted off rapidly when I was feeding out -  until recently.
 I was impressed to see it happily come and feed among the birds a few days ago but the camera didn't cooperate that time.  I thought I would see it again and this morning it hopped up and started to enjoy the wheat.
 It is quite comfortable in the midst of the poultry.  It was bumped by a hen at one stage and lurched a little, adjusted and carried on nibbling.
 Needless to say it wasn't too scared of me as I moved around doing the chores.  It continued to feed happily a couple of metres away.
I don't want a tribe of rabbits in the orchard but this gate-crasher can carry on for now - one of the charming surprises that come when you live in the country.  It's also evidence of the power of food!

Update:  This afternoon I was feeding some pullets (around 16 weeks old).  they are a nervy group of pure heritage birds.  I was watching them eat and discouraging the swarms of sparrows trying to pinch their food.  Then the chooks started to cluck nervously and shy away from the area behind the water tank where I couldn't see.  A few moments later Rabbit appeared and calmly nibbled some pellets.  the young birds were quite non-plussed, and kept a watchful distance in a circle around Rabbit.  No photos of that but shortly later, back in the orchard, who should appear but....



No comments: